2010/08/11

I'm A Pool To Want You

Browsing through the master library of my realbooks (containing the best known tunes used in jazz music), I found this cutest of all typing errors. He's actually a fool to want her in the song. But wouldn't a pool who wants something make a really nice children's book?
Two encounters I made in the past few days, which I'd like to describe because they're kind of stereotypical.
The first one: on an office break, somebody shyly brought up the subject of jazz, because of me of course. She said: so you play jazz? There aren't lots of people interested in that, are there?
How nicely put! I added that in fact, there weren't many, and let out my typical self-irony-ridden-speech, which brought the others to say: no, actually, I don't dislike jazz, I really like it, as a background for parties!
Which, if a jazz musician is really honest, isn't the best professional perspective, but it's nice to know people like it...
And the second situation: on a party, after someone introduced me as a jazz pianist, a woman came to me and avidly asked me about my studies, my practising and my perspectives, and was really interested. She, as an amateur classical cellist, said she thought it must be incredibly hard to improvise like that, and couldn't imagine what kind of pillars one had to hold on to, what to consider, and how to listen to each other.
Which made me feel warm and fuzzy. My career's interesting!

Often I can't believe why I really hold on to this, why I practise so much for so few people interested, how much work is necessary for the kind of career I'm expecting. But on the other hand, not many people know it, or like it, and not many people can study music like that, which makes it interesting. An aspect I kind of like... So I guess I really am a "Pool" to want to do this jazz stuff. But a least a special one?

No comments:

Post a Comment