2010/08/05

Gwilym Is Not An Elb He's Just From Wales

Just one of these days!
I mean- it's great to have a job I really like, which gives me the faintest idea of being able to achieve something real. And I love to practise in the morning to get my share of crazy jazz stuff, and to go to work in the afternoon like a normal person. But I also love the (rare) days when I have no other obligations than to practise.
So that's how I find myself today: really bad weather outside, wearing a cozy jumper, checking out new jazz releases.


The reason for this entry is that I discovered Gwilym Simcock today, a name that instantly went into my "important-musicians-or-just-stuff-I-like-notebook. He is one of these new stars on the jazz firmament so easily checked out thanks to the internet. Just twenty-nine, he already recorded four albums, the newest of them will be released on August 10th. He has two trios, a quartet (with Steve Swallow), a quintet and a bigband, and is very active as a composer, for orchestras and choirs, amongst others. He has first studied classical music and then jazz, and still plays both. Apparently he is already rather well known and has won several important prizes. I'm sure that his is a name to keep in mind!

2 comments:

  1. He's got a brand new record out this month...
    http://www.seeofsound.com/p.php?s=SRCD322

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks. I read all the exstatic reviews, and then found this one:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/music/reviews/5hj9
    ... :)
    I can't buy the cd yet, but I'm enthused by the previews, I like the "classical music" approach!

    ReplyDelete