2010/05/25

Family reunion...

I saw my whole family yesterday, there were almost a hundred people, and I'm telling you, I had to fight for words. What just a day before seemed to me like the rock'n'roll, unconventional side of me lived out through jazz (the crazy music nobody cares for - "ooh, you know, I love jazz, I'm going nuts over some good old dixie"), appeared shallow and useless, when described to people who couldn't know less about what I'm doing. People who got married very young, had four children and that was it (not meant to sound condescending at all). When faced with one's own history, it can get really frightening, somehow one gets thrown back and has to look at oneself as others might, and although I'm happy (at least most of the time) about the road I chose to take, it's still hard to see that I'm so fundamentally different from almost everyone of them - people who are my family.

So that led to rather blue thoughts. Really bad day today.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Mary, I had some time before my work day begins, posted a blog myself, looked at a couple others including you and wanted to say hi. Spring is somewhat a reflective time for many of us, and wish you well as you progress forward. I too enjoy jazz, more the conventional type like Freddie Hubbard, Dave Brubeck, Ella FitzGerald and others. Occasionally work to the CBC radio network on line which has among choices a 24 hour jazz channel with few breaks, only network ID's. Am in my middle years, and about 5 years or so from semi-retirement. Live in the US. Will drop by again, but before going recommend a fun read to you titled In Search of Bliss by Eric Weiner, his personal study of how other countries and cultures understand happiness. Blessings to you and yours.
    David (mellow roc)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David, how nice of you to drop by and leave such a nice comment! Great to find people who like jazz as well - I like the conventional type, as you call it, very much, too. All the best! Mary

    ReplyDelete