2010/07/16

Marilyn's frigidaire

I'm through with love, I'll never fall again, said adieu to love, don't ever call again.
For I must have you or no one, and so I'm through with love.

I've locked my heart, I'll keep my feelings there, I have stocked my heart, with icy, frigid air.
And I mean to care for no one, because I'm through with love.

Yesterday I watched a Frasier episode (yes, really!), where Frasier Crane is once again frustrated about not being able to find a woman, and he feels so desperate that he starts to play this old standard (famous since Marilyn Monroe in Some like it hot) on his grand piano. I immediately had to stop watching and start playing myself! I love these songs, their harmony speaks of a long lost time, there's always a harmonic happy ending.
I played it as a cheesy ballad type hotel bar (which is always great fun), and in double-time with a walking bass and stride, and fooled around with reharms. I found out something new: I only listened to the text half-consciously, so I always heard Ella or Nat sing about an icy frigidaire, which left me wondering about the very graphic text-style...

I talked about it to the Paraglider, which brought us to a (long!) discussion about how to interpret the second chord of the tune, Ab diminished (first turnaround: Fmaj7, Abdim, Gm7, C7), because it can't easily be interchanged with a dominant chord. Aren't we geeks? At least we're geeks together (would now be the perfect time to form a Star Trek sign?)

Something I've found which I think is hilariously funny: there's a new jazz festival in Switzerland, in St.Moritz, which is a meeting-point for the rich and the beautiful. Unfortunately, their press material doesn't live up to the standards this particular demographic must be used to. Two pictures got interchanged, which led to this:


I don't know who this is, but it certainly isn't brown-haired, slender and "glassless" Brad Mehldau...

No comments:

Post a Comment