2011/01/24

check out: Malcolm Braff

While I really hope not to sound cheesy or too philosophical again, I would still like to share a jazz concert moment.
One shouldn't dare to try to summarize the beauty of a good concert in too few words, I guess. But tonight would make it easy for me.
We're playing workshop concerts this week, presenting what we (at least should have) practiced over the last three months with a group of other students, coached by musicians known nationally and internationally (like Jorge Rossy, Adrian Mears, or Wolfgang Muthspiel, just to name a few).
                               (just an example: Mr Braff with two other great swiss jazz  musicians)

One of these concerts tonight presented the music of Malcolm Braff. He's an incredible piano player, a rhythm wizard, and he plays the piano like a lion - as the listener, you're always a little scared that he might actually destroy the piano (and as a side note, he very successfully invents board games). His music is as down-to-earth as it's intellectual. The last piece of the concert was called "Together", the rhythm section playing "against" the horns, whose theme sounded like the salvation army playing after the invasion of spaceships leaving the earth sick and destroyed (maybe Cormac McCarthy comes to mind). At the end, instead of playing a ritardando, or the mandatory drum fill, the whole band just held the last note, and while the audience waited for the ending, ready to clap their hands, it just went on, and it slowly got louder, till the bandstand actually vibrated, and still they held it, people started shouting out, it was so loud and so intense, it sounded like the end of the world, and when it finally stopped, I just thought, two minutes longer, and the audience might have completely freaked out (like in "Das Parfüm").
The beautiful melody, seemingly simple and unostentatious, but actually going through all sorts of tonalities, against a busy rhythm, and this intense ending, touched me so much it made me cry.

To me, an experience like that is like an earth quake, things get into perspective, and I wander around in a blur for a few hours, and I'm always so thankful to be able to feel something like that. I can only hope that I'll maybe one day through my music be able to give that gift to someone else too.

Got philosophical again! Oh well. Good night, and good luck!

1 comment:

  1. Ah, those concerts that have you walking on Cloud Nine for hours, or days afterwards ... I'm looking forward to getting that kind of feeling from one of your own concerts one day soon, Anybody!
    Re Malcolm Braff: He overdoes things a bit once in a while, for my taste at least - uses too many notes. I like my pianist to be more sparse. In this video clip the hymn-like ending is too long: Yes, we got the message; no need to draw things out like that. - Still, I have the highest regard for both Oester and Rohrer, a kind of bass & drums dream team.

    Have a nice day!

    Greetings, TK.

    ReplyDelete